Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Blades, Blades, and More Blades

My blades

Okay, so I use the red Personna blades, often referred to as Israeli Personna or IP blades. There was extensive discussion about them on B&B back around the time I bought them. I bought them on ebay for about $10 for a hundred. I just did a quick search for them and they don't seem to be available there anymore. I wonder what that means. I suppose I will have to do a little more research.

Anyway, before I bought this huge brick of blades, I bought one of the forum sampler packs. It included Feather, Derby, Merkur, Gillette, blue and read IPs. I didn't like the Feathers -- maybe they were too sharp, because they hacked me pretty bad. The Gillettes and IPs seemed pretty similar to me. The Derbys were a step down. The Merkurs were a step down from the Derbys and the Feathers were the worst for me.

Given that the IPs seemed to work okay for me, I made the $10 commitment for the big brick. Now I have a two-year supply, and my razor is always sharp. All for about the cost of a couple of Mach 3 blades!

I usually just change my blade every Sunday without counting the shaves. That way I start the week with a fresh blade. Maybe with the increased real estate without my beard I will need to change blades more often. I guess we'll see soon!

1 comment:

DarthKhayman said...

I've used these Red Personna blades and, for me at least, I much prefer the israeli Crystals, followed by the Derbys - these Personna blades felt rougher than the Crystals, which seem to be the ones that work the best for me.