Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Gems and Wildflowers

I've been wanting to blog for days, but have been very busy. Work, play, work, play... No chance to slot a blog in there. My brush backlog is getting so long I'm going to have to take a couple of days off to start working it down. Fortunately, I have the time at the moment to do that.


A couple of posts ago I said that I had a rough shave with my red IP. Well, it smoothed out a little, but not as much as I would have liked. Thinking about alternatives, I decided to break out my freebie Gem G-bar. I bought it as part of an ebay auction for an Old Spice mug like my old navy-days mug. I got the mug and a few razors for $9 or so. I sold the other razors for $10.50 and walked away with my mug and this Gem.

I liked the looks of it, and it didn't seem to be very valuable on ebay. After a little looking around, I found that many people don't like the Gems but a few do. I found that it works great with the right technique, and really hacks you for a pretty bad shave with anything else. Fortunately, the right technique is a matter of keeping the razor almost flat on your face. If you do that, it's as easy as any mindless single edge (except of course the straight kind) out there.


So anyway, I've been using the Gem of late with my Ted Pella brick of PTFE blades, and life is good again. I will go back to the red IPs but I needed some refresher time with the ol' g-bar.



One of the play things I've been up to was a triathlon training weekend at Lake San Antonio near Lockwood, CA. We had time for some family photography, and now you get to enjoy it. The triathlon my fiance, Lori, is training for is called "Wildflower". You can see why in the pic. We had a great time, and it was a beautiful weekend. c u later!

1 comment:

LeisureGuy said...

I really like the GEM G-Bar. They come up fairly frequently, and they always seem to look like new. And you're right: keep the razor flat against your face and it gives a great shave.